Training Videos and Quizzes
To watch the training videos, you will need:
- High-Speed Internet Connection - This program will not run on a dial-up connection.
- Sound - The training videos have voice narration, so you will need speakers, headphones, or earbuds connected to your computer. The quizzes and tutorial DO NOT have voice narration.
- Adobe Flash Player - You must have Adobe Flash Player installed on your computer to play the videos. If Flash Player is NOT on your computer, you will get an error message. Follow the link on the message to download the latest Flash Player.
To watch a video, click on the title and the topics covered are listed below each title. The length of each video is indicated. There is a quiz that goes along with each training video. Quizzes are not graded, and you can take them as many times as you like. Use the quiz to make sure you understand the main concepts. Quiz questions are similar to those on the final exam.
- Online Training Tutorial (1:58)
Before you watch the videos, please view the tutorial on how to use the video interface.
- Quiz Instructions (1:52)
Before you take a quiz, view the instructions on how to take a quiz.
- Introduction (7:40)
Rape Exam Definition
Care and Evidence
- 1A Forensic Concepts (14:24)
Chain of Custody
- 1B Forensic Concepts (9:15)
Types of Evidence
- 2A Preparing Your Facility for Rape Exams (11:10)
- 2B Preparing Your Facility for Rape Exams (13:10)
Rape Exam Supplies
- 2C Preparing Your Facility Forensic Photography (8:15)
Digital vs. Film
Images as Evidence
- 3A Step-by-Step Rape Kit (15:27)
Before You Begin
Inside the Kit
1. Consent for Exam
2. Patient Narrative
3. Patient History
4. Assault History
- 3B Step-by-Step Rape Kit (14:25)
5. Head/Oral Exam
Rape Kit Diagrams
5. General Exam
5A. Head Hair Tape Lift
5B. Head Hair Combings
5C. Oral Swabs/Smear
Evidence Swabbing Rules
5D. Head Hair Standards
- 3C Step-by-Step Rape Kit (12:49)
6. Fingernail Scrape/Swabs
8. General Body Exam
8A. Pubic Hair Tape Lift
8. Body Exam Continued
- 3D Step-by-Step Rape Kit (11:46)
9. Genital Exam
Toluidine Blue Stain
9. External Exam
9A. Pubic Hair Combings
9B. Pubic Hair Standards
- 3E Step-by-Step Rape Kit (12:01)
9C. Vaginal Swabs/Smear
9D. Rectal Swabs/Smear
9. Male Exam
9C. Male Genital Exam
10. Known DNA Standard
- 3F Step-by-Step Rape Kit (6:08)
Prior to Discharge
Earn a Certificate
Earn a Certificate
A certificate of completion is available for people who watch all of the videos and pass the final exam. The exam is composed of 50 multiple choice questions that are very similar to the quiz questions for each video. You must get 80% of the exam questions correct in order to earn a certificate.
- Print a copy of the Final Exam.
- Take the exam by circling the best answer for each question.
- When finished, sign and date each page and fill in the form on the last page.
- Mail the exam to Holley Johnson.
- Your exam will be graded and your certificate will be mailed to you. However, if you do not get 80% of the answers correct, you will be mailed a different version of the exam to try again.
Resources referenced in the training videos
- Montana Rape Exam Training Program Additional Resources
- Order Montana Rape and Toxicology Kits
- Toxicology Forms
National Protocol on Sexual Assault Medical Forensic Examination
- National Protocol for Sexual Assault Forensic Medical Examinations and (PDF 1.83MB)
- Victim-Centered Care
- Coordinated Team Approach
- Reporting to Law Enforcement
- Drug-Facilitated Sexual Assault
This program was developed by Lori Hutchinson in conjunction with the Professional and Technical Communication Department at Montana Tech. Ms. Hutchinson is a former forensic scientist with the Utah and Montana state crime labs. She spent many years working sex crime cases and teaching healthcare professionals how to collect forensic evidence. In 2006, she returned to graduate school and developed this program as her graduate project.
This program is funded by three STOP Violence Against Women grants from the Montana Board of Crime Control and is sponsored by the Montana Department of Justice. We acknowledge the generous support of these agencies in making this project possible.
©2009 Montana Rape Exam Training Program. This project was supported by Grant Numbers 06-W05-82244, 07-W05-90068 and 08-W05-90412 awarded by the Montana Board of Crime Control (MBCC) through the Office of Justice Programs, US Department of Justice. Points of view are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the US Department of Justice or the Montana Department of Justice.